It's St. Patrick's Day today and there's always a lot of talk about luck but I've been thinking a lot about how blessed I am. Isn't health something we often take for granted until we aren't healthy? At least I know that it's something I take for granted but I've been reminded lately how thankful I should be that our family is healthy, due to some friends who are unfortunately not healthy.
A fellow MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers) mom who was moved to hospice last week because she is losing her battle with breast cancer. The cancer moved to her spine and the chemo has not been touching it.
Then there's my good friend from college Sarah, who's son is battling cancer and is in his 3rd round of chemo. Spending nights in a recliner at Children's Mercy has become the norm for her. In her own words:
Jude knows and uses the terminology "my feeds are out", "I need to clamp this tube", "I don't want to do my vancpaste" and knows how to call the nurses station to tell them his IV pole is beeping! NO 4 1/2 YEAR OLD SHOULD KNOW THOSE THINGS!!! He should be at school, playing outside with Addie, and riding his bike with the neighbor boys!
Then there is another close friend who's newborn baby has been struggling to eat and gain weight and has been to appointment after appointment to try and determine the problem and find a solution.
My heart aches for these friends and their families. I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult life must be for them. How challenging and exhausting. But, each one seems so positive and hopeful, they have all been able to see the good through their trials and that is such an inspiration to me. It has also reminded me to praise my God for the health that He has given our family, knowing that at any moment that could change, but, for now we are healthy and I choose to be thankful for this blessing and not take it for granted... life is too short to take any of it for granted.
Today. Lucky... maybe. Blessed... definitely!
No comments:
Post a Comment